Friday, May 28, 2010

Love and Power

Before I thought that in the Myth's the women were just seen as weak and distractions to the men.
Recently I have read the story of "The Quest of the Golden Fleece". The hero, Jason was trying to retrieve the fleece and he tries to make the daughter of the King, Medea, who has the fleece fall for him and Hera gets Cupid to make her fall in love with him too. They wanted her on Jason's side because she had black magic powers and she was the only one to help him complete his challenges. After she helped him with the challenges and completing many other deeds she was exiled, forgotten and betrayed by Jason while he married and moved on. Jason used her and disposed of her after he was done using her powers. She had revenge and killed his new wife and tried to make his life miserable even though she loved him. "I conquered them.I made you victor. I held the light and saved you.... Now you forsake me." p.g. 134
Medea is a good change for the status of women in Myth's for me. She is a strong woman who is tricked by love for Jason and does anything to help him succeed. When she was exiled she does do what I thought she would do, mope around and be sad, she did something and stood up for herself. Even if what she did was wrong (killing Jason's wife).

It seems to me that love is always used to bring the downfall of a hero or ruining a person. Now-a-days we think that Cupid is wonderful and brings true love and is good but from reading these Myth's it seems that his power wasn't used for that. People force Cupid to use his arrows, not for the good of the person, but to ruin them. I don't think in some instances Cupids power is good it is a wicked curse especially making people fall in love (which is a powerful thing).

No comments:

Post a Comment